Monday, January 9, 2012

Top Five Performances of 2011 (#3)

3

Elliott Brood - Northern Air - La Sala Rossa, Montreal QC, November 19, 2011

I make no secret of this, Elliott Brood is pretty much my favourite band, and I always enjoy seeing them perform live. Even the worst EB show I have ever seen (also this year...) is pretty much a sure thing, but the best Elliott Brood show, well now. Only number three because numbers one and two had the surprise-first-time-seein-em factor- plus I really should give other bands a chance... ;o)

As I am wont to do I saw the band perform several times on the same tour- both in Ottawa and Montreal. The Ottawa show was the aforementioned worst-one-ever, so my hopes were not too high for Montreal (well, comparatively not too high). That may have played a part, but regardless I was blown away.


It may have been because it was the last stop on their tour, or because the crowd was surprisingly excitable for Montreal, but regardless of the reason the performance was fantastic. Energetic and enthusiastic, sweat flying and givin'er at every turn, it was everything I have come to love about this band. The crowd danced non-stop, sang along with every song, and cheered through endless collaborative encores.

It was my first time at La Sala Rossa- A perfect size with just enough space to feel full, but not crowded, and leave just enough room for copious amounts of dancing. A beautiful gem of an old theatre space chocked full of character, from the hardwood floors to the crown moldings, the soaring ceilings to the sculpted proscenium arch. There could be few venues better suited to the aesthetic of the band. Banjos, guitars and pounding drums easily filled the space, sounding great from every angle, and giving chest pounding bass without busting your eardrums.

It was also my first time seeing my now-favorite drum kit of all time- covered with birch bark and tree rings- only one of the many Elliott Brood visuals (from chairs to merch to backdrops) I spend every show oohing and ahhing over (my friends spent significant amounts of time making fun of how many more photos I was taking of the kit than of the band). It was also great to hear quite a few old songs (first-album old! ones I haven't heard live in years) right along brand new anthems and sing-alongs. It was clear that virtually everyone in the crowd had listened to every album countless times, and great to hear shout outs to numerous old-time fans.

This show was the result of an ideal combination of energetically played music, an enthusiastic crowd, and a perfectly themed venue. Elliott Brood the way they were meant to be seen and heard. Here's hoping every one of their shows matches this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment